Tuesday, November 25, 2014

In Troubling Times Turn to the Peace that He has Given Us!

In the wake of the crisis du jour in America, Ukraine, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Honduras, and all the others that are really too numerous to list it is easy to really lose our focus.  I awoke this morning to the news pundits sharing the devastation of the town of Ferguson in Missouri.  My oldest son is a Police Officer in Kansas City and a member of the State National Guard.  I could be worried for him, in fact after seeing all that has happened I should be worried, but I am not.  The truth is I know the condition of his soul.  I know that while he serves in these dangerous positions he is protected by God.  He like all those that have tasted of the sweetness of the spirit of life from Christ has a home that is not here.

The biggest problem that I see here and abroad is that we spend way too much time trying to find our identity in the wrong things.  We look for reasons to be divided.  Paul says in Ephesians chapter 4:4-6; “There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.”   Any attempt to divide is the enemy trying to sew destruction and devastation.  We may not always agree on all things but we are still all one body of believers and as such we are called to one hope.  That hope is what the world lacks.  That is why those that seek to divide us succeed it is because they have lost hope and we the representatives of God here have not done a good enough job sharing that hope. 

Today take some time to read the 14th chapter of John.  Jesus is about to head to the cross and He is having some final talks with the 12 men that He is closest to in all the world at that moment in time.  They were confused and worried.  Jesus was telling them that He was leaving and they had no idea what He meant.  Phillip even asked that Jesus would show them the Father in some veiled way to reassure them that He (Jesus) was the Christ.  Near the end Jesus says this to them; “These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” 


He is leaving His peace with them and with us.  In other parts of the New Testament the peace that passes all understanding is brought out.  Ultimately this peace stems from the Hope that we have in Jesus.  Share that hope and His peace and remember that we are just pilgrims passing through this world.  Our home is still being prepared by Jesus and when He is ready for us we will be called home, until then remember the Hope and Peace that He has given us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment