Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Manly Coffee Mugs...

This morning I awoke with a single thought on my mind…coffee.  In the past few years I have become a kind of a coffee snob, as much as I am loath to mention it.  I love fresh ground and then fresh brewed coffee.  For those that have only bought the pre-ground coffee in the stores you may not know that there is a difference but there is.  I had some dear friends that imported real Kona coffee beans from Hawaii and I was wanting a fresh cup from that tropical wonderland. 

Hearing the grinder go and then the sound of the water percolating over that tremendous blend I reached into the cupboard for a cup and my hand froze.  Looking in to the cabinet and all I saw was flowery frou-frou mugs.  I even saw one that said, “shhh mommy is not conscious yet.”  It occurred to me that all there were no manly cups available.  Looking back at the steadily brewing blend of roasted goodness and I was torn.  Is it just my weirdness or are there other men that hesitate to put their coffee in a cup that is a bit girly? 

Fortunately as I rummaged through I found a cup in the very back under bowl, (why the bowl was covering this cup I have not got a clue) and there sat a cup with two wolves howling at a full moon and I breathed a sigh of relief.  It was a smaller cup than I wanted but I felt that I finally had a suitable vessel for such a great concoction. 


I am not sure what this says about me.  I know that I could fall back on the old adage, “What would Jesus do?”  I know that I am just an armchair theologian but I have yet to read anything in the New or Old Testaments that deal with this issue.  So I guess I need to deal with the fact that not only am I a coffee a snob I am also a coffee mug snob.  Either way after the cup was chosen the appropriate additives to the brew I was able to sit and enjoy a cup and spend some time with the Lord in the silence of the house and my soul.  

Lord, thank you for the simple things and for being there in the big ones!  Please allow me to love you with an intensity that defies understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment