Thursday, November 10, 2016

A Servant's Heart

For the last year, I have watched the election with intense interest. The last two presidential elections I lived in Europe and did not have access to the American media machine. I sent in my absentee ballot and waited for the day after to see how much my vote mattered. This time around I wanted to look at all the candidates and spend some time praying for our nation. Preceding this election, I felt God calling me to a fast. Every time I fast I try do so with no more than three to four prayer goals. My two oldest sons are serving in the military and should take orders from the president so fasting and praying for this election was my primary focus.

I have a great love for my nation, but I love my God far more. I did vote and I voted my conscience. In the process of the voting and the aftermath I feel that I need to speak up about something that I find very disturbing. There seems to be a trend now to invest so much hope in a single candidate, public official, or leader as to elevate them to a higher place. Luke records a scene where Jesus commented on this very thing. “A dispute also arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest. And he said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves.” (Luke 22:24-26) in other places Jesus talks about the first should be last and that a leader is one who serves humbly.

I see little of the servant’s heart in our modern leaders today. I see little in the way of humility in those that seek higher office.  My concern is that people today are putting so much faith in this candidate or that one to the point that there is a feeling that their guy or gal is going to solve all their problems. Donald Trump may be a lot of things (good and bad), but he is not the messiah. He is not divine, he cannot perform miracles, only Jesus fills that role.



I believe that if we place our faith and trust in any man, woman, politician, pastor, leader or any one in authority we will eventually be disappointed. Elevating anyone to a high position and investing all hope in them is the fastest way to despair. I do not know how the next four years are going to play out but I know that in the end God will still be in control. I would caution anyone from placing too much hope in any politician, rather put our hope in Jesus and pray for our leaders that they would display a servant’s heart and seek Jesus themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment